Live performance is returning to Theatr Clwyd this summer as Flintshire’s creative powerhouse takes to the stage outdoors with a programme of concerts and events. The outdoor shows will take place beside the theatre from 27 August to 27 September, with limited capacity audiences and social distancing, and are key events in helping Welsh Government develop guidance enabling live performance to restart in Wales.
The season with tickets from just £5 includes a preview of Tim Price’s hilarious new comedy play English; Welsh musical theatre stars performing Welsh of the West End: Live; family show Three; and Orpheus, a spoken word and soul music show by acclaimed writer and director Alex Wright. There will also be live concerts from Tayo Aluko (pictured), Kidsmoke, Aleighcia Scott, The Goat Roper Rodeo Band, Mared Williams and Flintshire favourites Tip Top Productions.
Tamara Harvey, Theatr Clwyd’s Artistic Director said, “All that we’ve been fighting for and working for day after day through all of this – is to bring people back up our hill for moments of hope and laughter, and to share in a collective joy. This outdoor season means more to us than is possible to express in words; and brings us one step closer to the day when we can throw open our doors and tell stories together again”
The performances, the first since the venue’s enforced closure due to the Covid 19 pandemic, is a step towards recovery after a five month hiatus that saw the theatre’s pre-planned April to December programme cancelled.
Throughout closure Theatr Clwyd has continued to support the local community – encouraging creativity in young and old and those most isolated through the online Together programme, hosting blood donation sessions for the Welsh Blood Service, distributing food packages to vulnerable families, leading digital dance workshops for those with Parkinson’s, and for the last four weeks, becoming a creative hub for vulnerable young people.
For tickets and further information, please visit www.theatrclwyd.com
• Musical theatre star Mared Williams performs her original music – 27 August, 7pm
• Tayo Aluko sings Jazz and Folk classics in An Evening with Tayo Aluko – 28 August, 7pm.
• Vikki Stone and Natasha Barnes move through a history of women being hilarious in musicals; from Sondheim to Streisand, in Funny Gals – 29 August, 7pm
• Orpheus – a tale of ancient gods and late-night karaoke– 4-5 September
• A preview of Welsh playwright Tim Price’s brand new comedy English – 6 September, 6pm.
• Welsh trio The Goat Roper Rodeo Band perform their cosmic ‘Country Blues’ – 18 September, 7pm
• Steffan Hughes presents an evening of performances by Welsh musical theatre stars in Welsh of the West End: Live – 19 September, 7pm
• Three weaves together fairy tales in a spellbinding musical play for children aged 3+ and their families – 20 September, 11am and 2pm
• Singer-songwriter Aleighcia Scott blends soul, R&B and gospel into her reggae music – 25 September, 7pm
• Kidsmoke perform their brad of dreamy indie-pop – 26 September, 7pm
• The Tip Top singers present a celebratory night of musical theatre with Tip Top’s Musical Magic – 27 September, 7pm